Imagine yourself...Chicago...1928...lounging at the Green Mill Cocktail Lounge...Al Capone in the corner...What are you drinking?
Well it better be a Southside! A simple but delicious tipple that will warm the cockles. Be bold here - this is exactly the time to pull out the higher proof gins.
1. Bang a martini glass into the freezer for a few minutes.
2. In a shaking vessel combine the 2 parts Aussie craft gin, 1 part fresh lime juice, 1 part simple syrup and a sprig of mint.
3. Add ice cubes, and shake with gusto! Strain into your chilled martini glass.
4. Lay out a few mint leaves on a wooden chopping board and give them a solid whack with a rolling pin, meat tenderiser etc to release the oils.
5. Pop 1-2 mint leaves into your martini.
So are you feeling it now?